Are you planning refund a game on Steam? Or Searching for the procedure how to refund a game on Steam?
Follow this article until the end and learn the procedure for obtaining a refund on Steam.
Using windows is amazing and the best part about it is gaming. If you love to game then you must be using Steam. If you are a hardcore gamer you are already aware of Steam and the games it offers.
For those who are not aware Steam is a digital distribution platform developed by Valve Corporation, which offers digital rights management (DRM), multiplayer gaming, video streaming and social networking services.
Steam provides the user with installation and automatic updating of games, and community features such as friends’ lists and groups, cloud saving, and in-game voice and chats functionality. Steam allows you to purchase various games and applications.
There are various circumstances that occur when you buy games without actually looking into it properly. You might have never attempted to know or played the game before. You constantly see games and their ads and you buy them too.
There could be a sale and you purchase games then that you might never play.
Now, what if you do not like the particular game or it doesn’t meet your expectations? How to refund a game on steam?
So if you are not yet aware there is a refund option which was introduced to steam in the year 2015. You can also move your Steam games to another drive if you are running out of space.
It promised to make returning games you don’t like as simple as buying them. This was a very worry-free and painless method where you do not feel any kind of pressure on yourself. This idea is brilliant and carefree.
WHEN CAN A REFUND BE INITIATED?
It is most essential that before you realize how the Steam refund procedure works. You must understand under what circumstances you can claim a refund.
You can request a refund for any purchase made on Steam. Valve could further relax these conditions depending on the circumstances but you should be on a less confusing side if you choose to follow these simple conditions.
The circumstances and conditions for claiming a refund are mentioned below.
TWO MAJOR CONDITIONS FOR GAINING ELIGIBILITY FOR REFUND APPLICABILITY:
1. You must have made the purchase of the game within the last 14 days. You can request at any period within the 14 days of your purchase.
2. You must have played the game for less than 2 hours on a total after the said purchase.
These two conditions are the primary conditions for requesting a steam refund. If you do not comply with these two them the chances for receiving a refund is doubtful.
You may, however, request for a refund even if the 14 days limitation period is completed, but it is hard for the refund to be processed automatically as they must manually check your refund for understanding the circumstance and your reasons.
The support team of steam will look into the refund request but it is doubtful whether you will receive the refund. They do not guarantee you a refund if these two conditions are not followed.
OTHER CONDITIONS FOR OBTAINING STEAM REFUNDS
The other conditions for obtaining steam refunds are listed below. These options may be relaxed at the discretion of Valve but I suggest you do not rely on the relaxation much. However, you may request for a refund in any circumstance.
Additional conditions of Steam Refund Policy are:
1. You cannot request for a refund steam when the games were purchased outside of Steam. Also, there is a possibility that you purchased the game through Steam but purchased the product key from another website for a lower rate, this is also not refundable. This feature was included to encourage people from using Steam and original products for game purchase.
2. There is no set limit as to how many games you can refund. However, if you try to refund a lot of games then Valve will consider it to be abuse and stop offering you steam returns. There is no set definition of what includes abuse but the aim is to prevent using Steam as a free game portal. This must have been done in a short period of time only then will it be considered an abuse. They will give you a warning before they deny you of future refunds.
3. Valve does not consider refunding a game right before a sale as abuse. This means that if you purchased a game at a higher price and a sale come by then you can refund steam game and buy it for the lower price. As long as you haven’t played the game for more than 2 hours.
4. You can refund the game the same way you bought it or through the steam wallet. You can read the Steam Refund policy for more specific details about the policy terms and conditions.
5. If you think that you refund request was unfairly refused. Then you can request one more time and it will be reconsidered. The refund takes around 7 days to process, but international payments could take longer. Try not to re-request during this period. Also a request
6. You cannot also ask for a refund if the game was just released. There must be a certain number of owners and players before its cards are dropped. This widely prevents misuse. The calls its confidence metric and it varies from game to game. The intention is to ward off fake games and trading.
7. There is also a new gifting system in the Steam that was introduced in 2017. Since then the working of the gifting system works differently. When we purchase the game for the gift we are required to mention the recipient. If the player denies the game, then you will be refunded instead of bringing the game back into your inventory.
8. If a person receives a gift then they can redeem for a refund considering the 14 day period and 2-hour limit has been followed. The person who gifts it cannot request for a refund when the gift it after the player has redeemed it.
9. If you buy multiple single games in a single transaction you can surely obtain a refund for one of them. However, if the multiple games were part of a single package you will have to obtain a refund for all of them. This kind of refund to the Steam wallet is simple but to your credit card or any other payment process is a bit confusing.
10. There are a few bundles of games which are non-refundable. Make sure you look into that on purchase.
11. Valve will provide you with refunds for every in-game purchase you have made unless it has not been consumed, modified or transferred. There will be a notification for you if that particular in-game purchase is refundable. If it has not been mentioned then you cannot obtain a refund.
12. If you have pre-purchased titles or paid for something in advance then you can obtain a refund prior to the release date. Also, the 14 day period and 2-hour time slot are applicable once the game is released.
13. You can also request for refunds for the Steam wallet if you had purchased it in the past 14 days and you haven’t used any of those funds.
14. You can also request for the Steam hardware and accessories refund within 30 days of purchase. Within 14 days you must ship it back to them once the refund request is given. You can look at the Steam Hardware order terms for detailed guidelines or return and cancellation policy.
15. If you have been banned by the Valve Anti-Cheat system (VAC)., then you cannot request for a refund for that game. You automatically lose your right on getting banned.
16. There is no refund for video content on steam unless it is bundled with non-video refundable content.
HOW TO REFUND A GAME ON STEAM?
Now that you are aware of the conditions for a refund we will look at the procedure for obtaining a refund on Steam. Even if you fall outside the rules, you may request for a refund and a consideration towards your request will be looked into.
STEPS TO REFUND A GAME ON STEAM:
1. You must first go to the steam Help via the link provided. ( https://help.steampowered.com/)
2. Log into your Steam Account through the portal provided.
3. Go to the Purchase Option and click on it.
4. Find the purchase you would like to get refunded and click on it. If it is not listed then the item is way outside the refund eligibility and you will not receive a refund for it.
5. From the options given select the problem, you are facing with the purchase.
6. Once you have done that click on ‘I’d like to request a refund’.’
7. A form will be given to you. Fill out the form and submit the request form.
8. Click on the drop-down menu and choose where you would like to obtain the refund in. It could be your Steam Wallet or your Original Payment Method.
9. A confirmation mail will be received by you stating that the request was successfully submitted.
10. You will get a mail after the review process stating that the purchase has been refunded if you met the requirements. It mostly comes to you within hours itself.
Here we’ve learned How to refund a game on Steam. You must be patient as the refund to be credited in your account takes 7 days and international payments take longer. If you haven’t received it contact your bank directly. For any reason, you feel the request got canceled then repeat the steps again.
If still, it does not work then your game is way outside the refund eligibility criteria. Also, do not worry about your play time and achievement in your Steam Community profile. It will still remain the same after the refund also.